This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Marketing

A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

How do I 'write off' rent where a tenant has left owing rent?

Tips and advice on how to use Landlord Vision.
michelletb
How do I 'write off' rent where a tenant has left owing rent?

Postby michelletb » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:26 am

Hi.

How should I account for rent that was never paid?
My tenant vacated his flat without notice owing 2 months rent?

Do I just adjust the tenancy details and reduce it so that the rent is no longer showing as outstanding?
Or do I write it off as a bad debt?

Thanks

michelletb

Re: How do I 'write off' rent where a tenant has left owing rent?

Postby michelletb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Just a quick update.

After speaking to Roy
I went into Tenant Manager-Tenancies and edited the tenancy by ending it on the date the tenant left.

Under the Deposit Tab I ticked the box to say I Retained all of his deposit.
This cleared some but not all his debt.

I then found the unpaid rent invoices under Tenant Manager-Invocies and posted a credit note
using the account 'Tenant Income (Non Rent)' for the total amount of the depsosit which I kept.

HOWEVER - The deposit did not clear all the rent owed.

So now I need to write that rent off as a Bad Debt - but I don't know how to do this.

Any ideas?

roy

Re: How do I 'write off' rent where a tenant has left owing rent?

Postby roy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Hello

To write off a rental invoice as bad debt, go to Tenant Manager > Invoices > Add Credit Note and set the Item to Bad Debt. Fill in the rest of the payment and press Save. Then, allocate your credit to the rental invoices that you will never receive payment from

In the event that you receive payment in the future, simply delete the Credit Note and add the payment

Kind regards
Roy

Return to “Functional Support”