This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Marketing

A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Tenant has paid an expense on behalf of the landlord and then deducted the fee from the next rent payment.

Tips and advice on how to use Landlord Vision.
landlordvision
Tenant has paid an expense on behalf of the landlord and then deducted the fee from the next rent payment.

Postby landlordvision » Fri May 13, 2016 3:38 pm

I have a tenant who deducted money from the rent due for a property expense that she paid for us. How do I deal with that?

emm

Re: Tenant has paid an expense on behalf of the landlord and then deducted the fee from the next rent payment.

Postby emm » Fri May 13, 2016 3:38 pm

You can either reduce the rent for that particular month:

Tenant Manager => Tenancies => Hover over the tenant's name to bring up the cog icon => Select "Change Rent".
On this screen, change the "End Date" against the existing line to be the last day before the month of the reduced rent. Click on the + symbol on the right to add a second line. Enter the details of the reduced rate. Click on the + symbol again and then enter the details for the normal rate to resume. For example:

£750 Monthly 01/01/2015 31/08/2015 1 of the current month
£600 Monthly 01/09/2015 30/09/2015 1 of the current month
£750 Monthly 01/10/2015 31/12/2016, etc.

Alternatively, you can record that you have received the full amount of rent from your tenant but then issue a Credit Note => Refund for the amount that the tenant retained:

Tenant Manager => Invoices => Add Credit Note => Enter Credit Note information => Save => Add Refund.

landlordvision

Re: Tenant has paid an expense on behalf of the landlord and then deducted the fee from the next rent payment.

Postby landlordvision » Fri May 13, 2016 3:38 pm

I have done the later but now I cannot reconcile the account because the income doesn’t match with what was on the bank statement. Ideas?

emm

Postby emm » Fri May 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Further to my last message, our development team have been working on a workaround and have now provided the following instructions:

1) Remove the refund against the credit note and also remove the credit note.
2) Remove the full payment against the rental invoice.
3) Issue a credit note in Tenant Manager => Invoices, however choose an appropriate Expense item for the credit note instead of the default Rental Income item.
4) Allocate the credit note to the rental invoice from which the tenant has deducted money for a property expense paid on behalf of the landlord.
5) Post the money received against the remainder of the rental invoice.

Return to “Functional Support”