This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Marketing

A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Account Treatment - Deposit I paid to Rent House and then Sublet

Tips and advice on how to use Landlord Vision.
landlordvision
Account Treatment - Deposit I paid to Rent House and then Sublet

Postby landlordvision » Fri May 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Just wondering how to treat a deposit I paid to acquire a house from a landlord allowing me to sublet it out!
Is this deposit an Asset as is held till lease termination/expiration? Also how do I enter monthly rent I will be paying the landlord?

emm

Re: Account Treatment - Deposit I paid to Rent House and then Sublet

Postby emm » Fri May 13, 2016 3:35 pm

1. With regards to your deposit for sub-letting a property, if the conditions are:

- Deposit will be refunded at the end of the contract, or
- the deposit will be adjusted with the last month’s rent

Then you should record it as an Asset. Please set up you asset account as follows:

Settings => Chart of Accounts => Add Account => Account Type = Asset > Account Name = Security Deposits

Under Account Manager => Journals record the following journal transaction:
Debit: Security Deposits
Credit: Bank/Cash Account

2. Monthly Rent
It's an expense for you so please create the expense account 'Rent - Expenses (Property ...)' in your Chart of Accounts. Under Property Manager => Expenses please record the rent transactions.

3.Finally, when the landlord returns the deposit to you, please enter the following Journal entries:

Debit: Bank/Cash Account
Credit: Security Deposits

In case a partial amount of the deposit is used for the last month's rent and then the deposit remainder is returned to you the transactions would be as below:

Example:

Deposit: £1,000
Rent: £700 per month

Say that when the last rent is due, the you and your landlord agree that the rental amount will be deducted from the deposit amount and the landlord will return the deposit remainder. In this case, the following transactions should be posted:

1) Deposit amount used to pay for the rent

Debit: Rent - Expenses (Property ...) £700
Credit: Security Deposits £700

2) Deposit remainder returned to you

Debit: Bank/Cash Account £300
Credit: Security Deposits £300

Return to “Functional Support”