This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Marketing

A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

VAT returns

Including free resources and updates from Landlord Vision.
joannacumm
VAT returns

Postby joannacumm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Is there any way to use the system for VAT reporting? If anyone has any tips on how this could be done I'm very grateful as looking into whether this is possible via this system.

emm

Re: VAT returns

Postby emm » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi,

It isn't possible to record VAT, other than what is charged by letting agents if you use them to manage your properties. I don't know of any work-arounds in this instance, I'm afraid.

Sorry!

merstonman

Postby merstonman » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:47 pm

There is a way of "recording" VAT but its not ideal.

I have one property elected to tax and therefore have to charge VAT on the rent.

What I did so not to record the VAT as rent and pay tax on it I set the tenants rental payment and invoice at the rent excluding VAT.

I then set up a nominal ledger called VAT

Then raised a manual invoice to the same tenant for VAT posted to the tenant ledger and VAT account. So for this invoice the double entry is debit tenant ledger credit VAT.

The VAT ledger shows the VAT "collected".

In the end was too much hassle so I opened a separate bank account for this tenant to pay the rent into. My ledger in landlord vision still shows the net rent which I transfer over to the main bank account and treat as the rent paid. Im using different software on the separate bank account to deal with "making tax digital" so I record an invoice there send that to my tenant which shows the rent plus VAT and use that software for VAT reporting. I leave the VAT payable in the bank account and pay the VAT man from there.

You may struggle with the above method unless you have a good understanding of double entry. Also it would depend on the number of VAT invoices you are raising. As I dont reclaim any VAT on expenses on this property I didnt have to find a way of recording any expenses with VAT but I think it would be possible.

Regards

Fiona

roy

Postby roy » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:57 am

Hello Fiona

Thank you for your post

For completeness, the other workaround is as follows:

Set up a nominal ledger account called VAT (you only need to do this once)
Set up the tenancy to show the full amount payable by the tenant, ie rent + VAT
This will allow you to reconcile the bank account with the amount paid
Next, record the following journal in Account Manager > Journals

Account | Debit | Credit
Rental Income | 0.00 | VAT amount
VAT account | VAT amount | 0.00

Now your reports will show the correct totals

Kind regards
Roy

Return to “Announcements”